CFTC Commitments of Traders: Second week of big shifts
Forex futures net speculative positions as of the close of business on Tuesday May 16, 2017
- EUR long 37K vs 22K long last week.
- GBP short 33K vs 47K short last week.
- JPY short 60K vs 36K short last week.
- CHF short 21K vs 15K short last week.
- CAD short 98K vs 86K short.
- AUD long 6K vs 26K long.
- NZD short 12K vs 11K short last week.
This is the second week of big shifts in positioning. Volatility has ebbed but with big bets like this, it's bound to jump. The euro traders have been rewarded so far while the shift to short CAD bets has been beaten up.
It's also notable that while the big bets on the yen are for Tuesday's close, it wasn't long after that the yen surged on the Comey memo.